Calgary, Alberta - Canada.
July 4-13, 2008
The Calgary Stampede offers the richest single-day payout in the world of rodeo. The Stampede went independent in 2006 and is now a tournament-style, invitation-only powerhouse of rodeo. It offers over $100,000 dollars in a "Sunday Showdown" that has no equal in the rodeo world.
Only the top 20 (from each event) in the rodeo world got the invite to travel and try to cash in at the Calgary Stampede: Rodeo of the Future.
2008 Calgary Stampede Winners:
- Bareback: It came down to a tie-breaker round with both Russ Hallaby (of Airdrie, AB) and Will Lowe (of Canyon, TX.) scoring 88.5 points on Alley Trail and Miss Amerititle respectively. Will Lowe finally conquered the showdown and the $100,000 with an 87.5 point-ride aboard Cool Pieces.
- Steer Wrestling: Wade Sumpter (of Fowler, CO.) - 3.4 seconds
- Saddle Bronc: Cody Wright (of Milford, UT.) - 87.5 points on Lynx Mountain
- Tie-Down Roping: It was another tie-breaker in the tie-down with both Cody Ohl (of Hico, TX.) and Jeff Chapman (of Athens, TX.) posting a 6.9 second run. Chapman prevailed in the battle of the Texans with an 8.3 score to Ohl's no-time (ouch!).
- Barrel Racing: Lindsay Sears (of Nanton, AB.) - 17.43 seconds
- Bull Riding: Mike Lee (Decatur, TX.) - 92.0 points on Wrangler's Rock Star
The winners of the "Sunday Showdown" each take home $100,000 as a prize (in addition to money won in the prelims). Which if you're rough with math, that works out to about $12,500 per second for the roughstock riders and even more for the bulldoggers and ropers.
Get more Schedules and Results from the 2008 rodeo season.