January 12-27, 2008
The National Western Stock Show and Rodeo is the second stop on the New Wrangler ProRodeo Tour, the PRCA's premier series of rodeo. This year the tour will expand to 26 rodeos and will culminate in 4 Ariat Playoff Series events at the end of the year. This year was the 102nd running of this awesome event. The National Western has now begun a new century of rodeo and western entertainment!
The story of the night was in the team roping with the Minor brothers taking home the win and continuing a 3-rodeo win streak (at Odessa, Texas, and the Nile Pro Rodeo in Billings, Montana).
The younger brother and header of the team, Riley, had this to say about the win. "It's really unbelievable. I'm really in shock right now."
Also among the field of team ropers were eight-time World Champion Speed Williams and four-time World Champion Allen Bach.
"I didn't think I was going to beat Speed Williams and Allen Bach. They are among the best team ropers ever. They are going to win a lot this year," continued Riley. (Quotes Courtesy PRCA)
Also among the winners was Navajo Nation cowboy Spud Jones who edged out Tyler Johnston by one point in the average race. Jones is a rising star on the bull riding circuit.
"I want to try to make the NFR," said Jones after his first PRCA win.
2008 National Western Rodeo Average Winners:
- All-Around Cowboy: Seth Glause (bull riding and saddle bronc)
- Bareback: Cleve Schmidt (254 points on 3)
- Steer Wrestling: Luke Branquinho (10.6 seconds with 3 runs)
- Team Roping: Riley Minor / Brady Minor (16.3 seconds with 3 runs)
- Saddle Bronc: Samuel Kelts (264 points on 3)
- Tie-Down: Tyler Garten (26.0 seconds in 3 runs)
- Barrel Racing: Brittany Pozzi-Pharr (46.69 with 3 runs)
- Bull Riding: Spud Jones (238 points on 3)
2008 National Western Rodeo Final Round Winners:
- Bareback: Dusty LaValley - 91 points on Grated Coconut
- Steer Wrestling: Luke Branquinho - 3.5 seconds
- Team Roping: Tie for First Derrick Begay / Victor Aros and Jake Stanley/Marty Becker - 5.3 seconds
- Saddle Bronc: Samuel Kelts - 89 points on Good Times
- Tie-Down: Tyler Garten - 8.2 seconds
- Barrel Racing: Brittany Pozzi-Pharr - 15.51 seconds
- Bull Riding: Joe Meling - 85 points on Vegas Night Show
On another positive note, The National Western experienced record breaking attendance this year breaking both the opening-day and single-day records. Proving once again that Denver loves its rodeo.
Get more Schedules and Results from the 2008 season.PRCA.)